Personal Sound Amplification Products (PSAPs)
May be appropriate for very mild hearing loss. May provide limited audible improvement in quiet. May increase speech understanding in quiet and non-challenging listening situations. Limited to no improvement in noise. For those considering this amplification option, Center audiologists can discuss available devices that have had performance verified against prescriptive devices.
Hearing Aids & Systems
- Improve ability and comfort in noise and complex listening situations
- Improve speech understanding in noise
- Completely customizable
- Connect with smartphones and other Bluetooth® enabled devices
- Stream music and TV audio
Hearing Aid Manufacturers
Hearing aids are designed for all types of hearing loss, lifestyles and budgets. Center Audiologists work with the following manufacturers to provide you with a custom, first-rate solution for your hearing loss: GNResound, Oticon, Phonak, Signia, Starkey, Unitron, Westone, Widex
Implantable devices work differently than a traditional hearing aid by providing direct stimulation to the inner ear or auditory nerve. The two most popular types of devices are:
- Bone Anchored Hearing Aids: used for individuals with varying degrees of conductive or mixed hearing loss by stimulating the inner ear via vibrations. Center Audiologists work with both Cochlear Americas and Oticon Medical products.
- Cochlear Implants: used for individuals with moderate to profound sensorineural hearing loss when a traditional hearing aid no longer provides clarity of speech or benefit. This is done by electrically stimulating the auditory nerve. Center Audiologists work with both Cochlear Americas and Advanced Bionics products.
Determining the right device for you starts with a hearing test. Once your type and degree of hearing loss has been confirmed, you and your audiologist can work together to figure out the best treatment plan.
Still not sure? Come in to try a device out for yourself.
Call the Center for Hearing & Speech at (314) 968-4710 for more information or to schedule an appointment.